Tuesday 5 November 2013

Duck Duck Goose

There's a little tapas bar in Saskatoon, just off of Broadway, that I've seen several times called Duck Duck Goose. Late Saturday night, my friend and I decided to go there for a couple drinks and see what kind of food they offer.

They have several options which are all odd. Or at least couture, or however you say fancy food nowadays. I ordered bacon wrapped dates with a molasses sauce, my friend got a duck poutine, and we split some grilled asparagus with Romesco vinaigrette.


The asparagus was amazing. I could not get enough of the vinairgrette. I'm told the duck poutine was very decadent, although I didn't have any, because it was very gluten-y. The poutine surprised us in size. At a tapas bar, you really don't expect to get very much food, everything comes in small portions. The poutine was big enough to eat for lunch, though. So delicious, and filling. Definitely a recommend for all you gluten-eaters.

My bacon-wrapped dates were... different. I'm still not really sure how I feel about them. They were super hot, and the bacon on the outside was crispy and smokey, and the dates inside were sweet and soft. Together they made a very different combination. I enjoyed it, and I might order it again, but I'm just not sure how I felt about it. Fancy food usually makes me feel this way.

The bar itself is small, and was constantly crowded. When we arrived, we got the last two seats in the place, at the counter, and when we left, two people eagerly stole our chairs. I might have stayed a little longer and ordered another drink, but I started to feel very claustrophobic and I just needed to leave.

The prices are on the higher end, although Urbanspoon gives them only a $$. Remember that the food there is all appetizers, and that the cocktails are all $9.50 each, although the cocktails all look amazing. They also carry a couple kinds of beer, including a locally brewed one.

I would recommend, if you're prepared. It's not what you would expect from a bar, but if you're looking for a drink or two and a decadent appetizer, pop in after dinner.

Duck Duck Goose on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment