Monday 3 June 2013

Banana Bread

My mom had a bunch of bananas going bad, so I took them off of her and made muffins. And then there were some leftover, so I made banana bread too! Hubby keeps begging me to make it for him, so I caved and did, mostly because I didn't want two batches of muffins on hand. In hindsight, I should have made two batches of muffins. Mmm, muffins...

The recipe is a little more consuming than the muffin one, using a few more dishes, and the ability to cream butter and sugar. Hey, I only said it's a little more consuming, not like it's hard!


  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups Gluten Free flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preaheat oven to 350F, grease a loaf pan.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour, xantham gum, baking soda and salt together, add to creamed mixture, mixing well. 

Fold in bananas and vanilla. 

Pour mixture into pan, bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan ten minutes, then on rack.

You could add up to half a cup of shelled, coarsely chopped walnuts, or chocolate chips, if that suits your fancy. 

There is nothing better than a cup of tea and a slice of warm buttered banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment