Saturday 2 March 2013

Day Nine: The Fabric Store

So, I'm a geek. Or a dork, or a nerd. I haven't really decided.

Anyways, so you remember I mentioned an SCA event a last week? Okay, so it's this, and also this. I know it seems like super intensely geeky, but it's... it is. Yep, it is. It totally is. I mostly do it because:

A) I want to dress in pretty dresses and feel like a pretty princess.

B) I want to sew pretty dresses and feel accomplished, but making your own clothes for everyday is kind of... iffy.

So I do it. I haven't done it much, and thus far I've just borrowed costumes (or garb) from other people. But last weekend, we decided to make our own, finally. My husband went to a woman we know, and she took measurements and started making his doublet. My sister and I went out and bought cotton sheets on clearance, and decided to turn those into dresses so we could practise and not mess up nice fabric.

Yesterday we sat down with a friend and figured out how much we needed of what fabrics, and this morning four of us girls took off for the bigger city to immerse ourselves in Fabricland and spend lots of money.

And that is exactly what we did. We were there for about three hours, and between us all, we spent over $300. My sister says she needs a cheap hobby. I say there's no such thing.

What does this have to do with gluten? Absolutely nothing! Except that this was my first trip away from the city, which also means the first time I couldn't go home to eat. This morning, I packed a little container of three different gluten-free snacks to keep me going. I plan to do this everytime I leave the house, I just don't always have enough foresight. A few minutes out of town, my husband called to say I left them on the counter. Fantastic. So the other girls stopped at Tim Hortons, because unlike me, they didn't eat breakfast. Mmm, let's go to the place that makes bagels, donuts, croissants, breakfast sandwiches, lunch sandwiches, and muffins! Perfect. I got an apple cider.

I'm learning to deal with it. It really wasn't a big deal, actually.

Shopping was fine too. Towards the end I felt really weak, but that's why I packed the snacks.

When we were done buying fabric, we went to Wendy's. I googled their gluten-free options, like I know I will have to from now on, and decided to get a baked potato, and a hamburger patty with cheese. That sounded good enough.

So I went up, and told the nice Asian lady that I had a gluten allergy, and she looked at me like I was from the moon. Another lady understood and told the cooks there was an allergy, and they had to change their gloves, and I ordered my baked potato. And then I got a drink too, because I'm always thirsty.

Yes, I chickened out and didn't ask for my burger, no bun. I'm a chicken, I know it. I also know that eventually, I will have to order that. I'm just not there yet. And I felt difficult enough telling them I had an allergy. I know I have to. I know that those cooks can't assemble a burger and then my food with the same gloves. I know that's not safe. I just hate being difficult.

Hubby says get over it.

Ugh.

I wish I was one of those trendy hipsters that didn't eat gluten because I just felt better, and then I could eat Mars Bars, and not be an "allergy" person. Ugh. Shoot me now.

So, I survived my first fast food experience. However, I did not manage a first burger experience. I'll get there. I think.




So in case any of you reading care about fabrics, I just wanna tell you what I bought today!

I found this gorgeous chunk of light blue brocade that is just gorgeous. They only had a meter and a half, so I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but it cost less than $5 and it is be-a-u-tiful. I also found a lovely 100% silk roll in the bargain centre. The only colour I could find was hot pink though, so I have the last 5m of hot pink silk! And then I found 100% linen, which was my goal, and I found it in the bargain centre in green, so I shall have a pink and green dress, and everyone will be jealous. And then I got my husband some white 50/50 linen-cotton. He's so boring. Ah, but I've never loved fabrics I've bought so much! I'm psyched to make my dresses!!

One of my friends bought an entire bolt of brocade. And then watching her cut it, we decided all fabrics from now on should be bought in bolts. They are much easier to manhandle when wrapped around a tube.


My dress will be one of these colour combinations, I haven't decided yet which.
But don't worry, it won't actually be THIS style...


No comments:

Post a Comment