Monday 25 March 2013

Day 32: Homemade Lemon Pudding

I made homemade pudding today! I'm scared to death of burning milk, so I wouldn't have made it, except that my friend is making a big Easter dinner, and is making everything gluten-free so I can come, and she decided to make trifle, and needs homemade pudding. So she walked me through it, but she made me actually make it.

It's really simple, and doesn't contain anything obscure. The one thing though, I would suggest making this with an extra set of hands.


1/4 cup corn starch
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup lemon juice

Stir cornstarch and sugar together in medium saucepan. Slowly add in milk, whisking together. Whisk frequently to avoid burning the milk.


Put egg yolks in small bowl. When milk mixture is hot, add one cup to egg bowl. Whisk together and then return mixture to pot.



Whisk contstantly until mixture is thick and pudding-like. When it reaches this stage, take of stove immediatly. Add in fresh or bottled lemon juice and butter. Stir until butter is melted.



Pour through sieve, into large Tupperware or large bowl. Let cool before placing in fridge.

If you want it to be more yellow, add lemon coloring to it while whisking in the egg mixture.


See? Super simple. Just make sure you stir constantly, because once you add the egg, it will cook on its own wherever it doesn't mix well, and that's why you strain it.

Warm lemon pudding is my new favorite, though. I never understood why people liked warm pudding, because I always made instant pudding. But now, I understand. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment