Saturday 16 March 2013

Day 22: Recipe Testing

When I cook, I either follow a recipe to a T, or I just toss stuff together until it looks good and keep no track of what I used. So I'm going to try to either use a recipe and modify it a bit, or make something up and write it down to share with you.

You know I said I made granola bars last week? (Or maybe earlier this week, I can't remember.) Well, I made some again. I bought a few groceries tonight, so I picked up some flaxseed, dried cranberries, shredded coconut, and some coconut oil. The oil isn't for granola bars, but I figured the other options (including peanuts and chocolate chips which we already have) would sound good to my husband. They did. He was most excited about the flaxseed, and then he realized he's becoming an adult. Hahah. So I mixed up a personalized batch for him, with rolled oats, chopped peanuts, milled flaxseed, and chocolate chips. And I accidentally tossed in some cranberries too. Oh well. I'm going to try some, and then make another batch tomorrow for me, to get the liquid mixture just right, before I tell you all about that. But I was diligent today and wrote down the amounts of everything I added. And I even measured things! I usually just pour until it looks right.

I also went to the gym earlier tonight, before grocery shopping and after dinner. I managed to do a couple rounds of circuit training, but then only 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Oh, and it dumped about a foot of snow today. Two days ago, everything was melting and there were giant puddles everywhere, and then today, my car is completely covered in a foot of snow, and drifts are up to my knees against buildings. Never move to Saskatchewan. And if you already live here, get out. I'm telling you. Mother Nature needs somewhere that she can just play with and have fun tormenting everyone, and I'm convinced she picked Saskatchewan. I would too, with a name like that.

When I bought the coconut oil today, my husband asked what you use it for. I've read tons of ideas to use it for, but a lot of times it's just an oil in cooking, and that seems boring. So... If you've ever used it, what's your all-time favorite use for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment