Thursday 28 February 2013

Day Seven: Candy Bar Cookie Bars

Okay, confession time.

1) I did make another full batch of those candy bar cookie bars.

2) I completely forgot to take any pictures.

That is so like me. I'm really the worst at this whole blogging thing. I don't know how you're still reading this. I'll give you the recipe anyways, because I'm like that cool aunt that lets you like the possibly-salmonella-infected spatula. Oh groan... Am I ever tired today.

So beyond my baking this evening, today was really insignificant. Well, except that I bought gluten-free bread. At lunch I really really wanted a sandwich, so I hopped over to the health food store, where I saw the gluten-free bakery I've been hearing about. Everything looked really yummy, so I bought a little square of cheesecake. It was nummy. Anyways, I also bought my first loaf of gluten-free bread.

It was okay. Dry and hard and small and bright yellow. Okay once drenched in honey. Man, I am not good at this eating healthy crap, huh? Even on a strict diet I still suck. Anyways, I got through my sandwich at least. And I'm sure in time it'll all taste normal to me...

For dinner I made plain chicken breast and canned corn. That's how much energy I had today. I then whipped up another batch of delicious squares, and then watched Netflix until my hubby claimed the television for gaming. Seriously insignificat, huh? Nothing happened at all today, I swear.

I made a goal to make something happen every day. You know, if nothing happened at work, then I would go home and adventure with cooking or baking just to write something interesting. I did bake, but I didn't adventure. Nevertheless, you should probably make these squares too. They are to die for. Everyone who has had one has just exclaimed over how amazing they are.

A perfect blend of chewy oatmeal cookie, sweet, smooth chocolate, and salty crunchy peanuts. To die for.

Okay, so enough taunting, I guess... Here's the recipe, sans pictures, because I suck. I promise to get better at this.


1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
1/4 cup dark- or light-colored corn syrup
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
1 cup butterscotch-flavored pieces
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Line a 9x13-inch baking pan or baking dish with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan or dish; set aside. Preheat over to 375°F. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium-low heat until combined. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in the 1/4 cup peanut butter and the vanilla until smooth.

For crust, place rolled oats in a very large bowl. Pour brown sugar mixture over the oats, stirring gently until combined. Press the mixture evenly into prepared pan or dish. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Meanwhile, in the same saucepan combine chocolate pieces and butterscotch pieces; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Stir in the 2/3 cup peanut butter until mixture is smooth. Slowly pour mixture over hot crust, spreading evenly, sprinkle with peanuts.

Cool in pan or dish on a wire rack for several hours or until chocolate layer is firm. (If necessary, chill until chocolate is set.) Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan or dish. Cut into bars.



Now, the recipe claims to make 48 bars, but those seemed like awful small bars to me, so I made less, but bigger ones. Also, I stick it in the fridge once the pan is cool enough to touch. I'm far to impatient, and being chilled makes the chocolate a lot easier to cut.

Also, for a gluten-free version, buy gluten-free oats. And check the ingredients on the other things, or buy certified gluten-free versions, but everything I used was safe.

I hope you make these, and I hope your tongue dies and goes to sweet, blissful heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment